Tuesday 8 October 2013

The Starting Off Project Week 7: Eyeliner!


Good evening beauties, hope you've all had a great start to the week! This week on #thesoproject, we're talking eyeliner, and for this one I thought I'd give a little run-down of the different types of eyeliner and how to use them as unless you are an avid eyeliner lover like me, you've probably got one type that you stick to. Lets begin!...


The Liquid
Liquid eyeliner I always think is something people love, but have difficulty using as it can get pretty messy! Instead of the traditional ones with a pen you dip into a pot, I go for the pen varieties (such as this Soap and Glory one) as I find them much easier to work with. Liquid eyeliner should be used to create defined lines such as a feline flick or just a simple upper lash lining. Dotted in between lashes subtly can create a very natural but full eyelash look too. This one shouldn't really be used to try a create a smoky eye, although if you have achieved one with this let me know! Beginners I would definitely recommend you try a pen style liquid eyeliner, as it might not be as tricky as you would expect!


The Kohl
A classic and my personal favourite. The Kohl is the multi-tasker of the group. Use it in a similar way to the liquid to create defined lines or even go a bit adventurous (it is almost Halloween) but just keep it sharp to avoid smudginess. More importantly though, this baby will give you that smokey eye you've been dreaming of. A little smudged half way across the lower lashes is perfect for subtle day time glamour or can be really built up on the night for sultry, sexy, makeup. Mostly I stick to brown and black, although blues, khakis, greys and purples also look gorgeous without being too in-ya-face! Try these bargain Topshop ones at £4, or even just a 99p one from a beauty store works fab!


The Eyeshadow
Not what you expected? Well just like kohl a black eyeshadow can be perfect for a more sultry eye look. Used with a skinny brush like this one, or even your finger or a cotton bud, can really smoke up an eye look. This is especially useful if you want to experiment with colour, or be more subtle than drawing on a line of eyeliner. I like to use it on my upper lashes if I'm rocking a smoky eye as it blend into shadow better than eyeliner but still looks as dark! Any eyeshadow of your choice is fine, this one is by Bourjois.


The Gel
A relatively new addition to the eyeliner world, but one that I must say is not as scary as it may look. Performs similarly to the liquid eyeliner, but its more gelly forumla can be used to create dark dark dark smudginess too if you're quick. The thing I like best about gel is that once set, it will not budge! Used with an angled brush its super easy to create flicks too, trust me! There are lots out there on the market now, but one that I love and a lot of other blogger seem to is Maybelline's offering, which also comes with a handy brush!


That's my quick whos-who of eyeliners, so there's only one thing left to do lovelies.... get experimenting!
If you're part of #thesoproject please post your links in the comment box!
Love,




No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric